Beef osso buco
For rainy days, warming stews, soups and curries are nourishing and comforting. Beef Osso Buco has always been a favourite of ours.
Recipe adapted from Pete Evans cookbook Paleo Every Day.
- 1 500g pack of The Meat Club rump steak, cut into pieces
- 2L beef stock
- 3 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 6 rosemary sprigs, leaves picked and roughly chopped
- 2 long red chilli, split lengthways
- Sea salt
- 1 carrot, roughly diced
- 2 celery stalks, roughly diced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 300g canned whole peeled tomatoes
- 1/4 cauliflower head (about 250g), chopped into small florets
- 1/4 bunch of covolo nero (about 300g), roughly shredded
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 160C.
- Pour beef stock into a large saucepan and bring to boil over medium-high heat. Continue to cook until the stock has reduced by half and is now 1 litre (this should take 15-20 minutes) Using this reduced stock will make the final dish richer and more delicious.
- Place a frying pan over medium-high heat and add 1 tbsp of coconut oil. Add rump steak pieces and cook for 2 1/2 minutes on each side, or until they are nicely browned. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Melt the remaining coconut oil in an ovenproof casserole dish over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes, or until soft. Add the onion, rosemary, chilli and a small pinch of salt. Stir well and cook for a few minutes, or until the onion is soft. Add the carrot and celery, stir well and cook for a further 2 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and stir well. Remove from the heat.
- Place the rump steak and cauliflower in the casserole dish and pour over the stock. Cover first with a sheet of baking paper, then with a tight-fitting lid. Cook in the oven for 2 hours. Add the cavolo nero and return to the oven to cook for another 5 minutes, or until the cavolo nero is just wilted.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
You may also like
Stuffed Capsicums with Lean Beef Mince
Stuffed Capsicums with Lean Beef Mince. These Halloween inspired stuffed capsicum are great for ...View Recipe
Rump Steak Asparagus rolls
WATCH VIDEO The Meat Club, together with Meat and Livestock Australia (MLA) and The ...View Recipe
Chipotle steak poke bowl with jackfruit salsa
An easy beef poke bowl you could eat with just a spoon – no oven ...View Recipe