Poached Chicken Cantonese style
This Poached chicken Cantonese style uses a whole chicken and can be shared during Chinese New Year for a warming family dinner. It couldn’t be healthier, having been poached in water, ginger and shallots! What is more the leftover broth can be used for other recipes including soups or a curry. Serve the chicken with a bowl of fluffy brown or white rice, or quinoa for that extra kick of health. Inspired by Bill’s recipe on The Woks of Life blog, here.
- 1 Whole The Meat Club Chicken
- 2 scallions
- 5 slices ginger
- 3 tablespoon scallions (spring onions)
- 2 tablespoon ginger
- 3 tablespoon oil
- Dash of soy sauce
- Pull chicken from the fridge and bring to room temperature (trying to poach a cold chicken right out of the refrigerator will result in uneven cooking or undercooking).
- Clean the chicken by rinsing it under cold water and set aside.
- Fill a large pot with water, just enough to submerge the chicken completely (but do not put chicken in yet).
- Add 2 scallions and 5 slices of ginger to the pot and bring to boil.
- Once boiling, slowly lower the chicken into the pot, and bring to boil again then turn the heat down and keep to a simmer.
- Cover the pot, simmer slowly and cook for about 35-40 minutes (depending on the size of your chicken).
- Poke a chopstick or skewer into the thigh to check for doneness. If the juices run clear, it’s done.
- Carefully lift the chicken out of the pot and transfer it to a large bowl of ice water. Cool completely.
- While the chicken is cooling, make the sauce by mixing all the ingredients together.
- Remove chicken from the ice water and brush lightly with oil.
- Carve the chicken into pieces, dip in sauce and enjoy with rice or quinoa.
You may also like
Chicken green curry
Chicken green curry – a Thai favourite! A warm and comforting dish that’s simple ...View Recipe
Baked Chicken Enchilada
This Baked Chicken Enchilada recipe brings the flavour of Mexico to your home in ...View Recipe
Ambassador Namita from Indian Spice box prepares Tandoori chicken, a tasty dinner made easy. ...View Recipe