This Chicken Soup is perfect for when little ones or grown-ups have the sniffles or are in need of some simple, comforting soup. Don’t leave out the spices; they pack in flavour and immunity-building powers, especially turmeric, a miracle spice that not only turns everything yellow but also contains antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that help you feel much better. Recipe shared by The Meat Club #supermum Namita of Indian Spicebox.
- 4–6 pieces The Meat Club cage-free chicken drumsticks and thigh fillets
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 6 cups water
- 1-inch piece ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 clove (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise (optional)
- 1 carrot, half coarsely chopped, half thinly sliced (for later)
- 1 celery stick, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, cut into quarters
- 1 lemongrass stick, coarsely chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 150 g tofu, cubed
- 1 lemon
- 1 small sprig of fresh coriander, finely chopped (optional)
- In a stockpot add water, ginger, garlic and all whole spices over medium heat.
- Add coarsely chopped carrot, celery, onions and lemongrass. Bring to a boil.
- Add chicken into the stockpot. Add turmeric and salt.
- Boil for 5 mins, then cover and simmer for at least 20 mins or until chicken is fully cooked and falling off the bone.
- Using tongs, pull out the chicken pieces and shred them using a fork.
- Using a sieve, strain the soup into another stockpot.
- To clear the strained liquid, add shredded chicken, sliced carrots and zucchini and simmer while covered for another 5-7 mins.
- Pour soup into bowls. Squeeze lemon over it and garnish with fresh coriander. Slurp away!