Reuben from Yoripe: Steak sandwich, beer in hand at the bar, sounds like something I would have at an Aussie Pub. Sandwiches are great grab and go meals. But a great steak sandwich will have you salivating at breakfast, lunch or dinner. The best thing about this? The entire preparation and cooking can be done in under an hour with time to spare. The perfect pick-me-up after a busy days’ work. Do it your way!
- 250g True Aussie Grass-fed Sirloin
- Garlic (optional)
- Thyme (optional)
- 2 Onions
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 Ciabatta Bread (Store-bought)
- Mustard Mayonnaise (Mustard & Mayo in 1:2 ratio, to taste)
- 1/2 Tomato (sliced)
- Sauteed Mushrooms (optional, mushrooms sauteed with butter and thyme)
- Slice ciabatta bread in half, brush with butter and toast in the oven, about 3 mins at 180c or toast it directly on a hot pan. Slice tomatoes and add in 2 slices per sandwich.
- Mix Mayonnaise and Mustard in a 2:1 ratio. Spread the Mustard Mayo mix on your bread.
- For Caramalized onions, thinly slice your onions then start with about 2 tbsp of oil in the pan on medium-low heat. Cook the onion till just translucent. Add in 2 tbsp of sugar, 1 pinch of salt and about a tbsp of butter. Cook slowly till it goes brown. You might need to use some water to deglaze the pan from time to time until you reach the desire texture. Alternatively, you can use raw or grilled onions.
- For the steak, pat the steak dry and season on both sides with salt and pepper. Steak goes into a hot pre-heated pan. Add garlic, thyme and butter to the pan then baste! Don’t forget to render the fat.
- Let the steak rest for at least 5 mins before slicing. You can trim the excess fat at the sides too.
- Assemble your sandwich on your bread with your steak, tomatoes, arugula, caramelized onions and sauteed mushrooms! Enjoy!
You may also like
Our Pan seared True Aussie beef with spices and relish has all the hallmarks ...View Recipe