The Meat Club, together with Meat and Livestock Australia (MLA) and The Providore, present these quick 10-15min meals that can be prepared at home. Here, chef David Carew shows us how to cook Eye Fillet Beef Pepper Steak.
David Carew is a veteran of the food industry. A meat specialist, expert chef and in-demand presenter, he produced Australia’s very first branded beef program. Having worked through the entire supply chain and won eight Australian Innovation awards along the way, The Meat Club are lucky to have his involvement in their Steak Master Classes.
- 2 x The Meat Club Eye Fillet steaks
- 1 x tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 30 ml sweet sherry or sweet wine
- 60 ml of beef stock
- 4 tsp green peppercorns
- 50 ml thickened cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Remove Eye Filet steak from refrigerator 15 minutes prior to cooking and slice in half (through the middle) to produce 2 medallions per serve (4 steaks in total).
- Season Eye Fillet with salt and EVOO.
- Heat frying pan and sear Eye Fillet on each side for 1-2 minutes to develop a delicious crust. Remove from pan and allow to rest loosely covered with foil.
- Glaze the same pan with 30 ml sweet sherry and reduce.
- Add 30ml of beef stock, stir and reduce.
- Add 1 teaspoon of green peppercorn per person and crush with the back of a spoon.
- Add 30 ml beef stock and reduce.
- Add 50 ml cream and reduce until thick.
- Return Eye Fillet to the pan for added flavour.
- Plate Eye Fillet and drizzle over pepper sauce.