Whole Roasted Chicken Roulade with Stuffing
PREP TIME: 20 mins
COOK TIME: 25 mins
This Whole Roasted Chicken Roulade with Stuffing by Palate Sensations Culinary School uses a whole chicken and requires a little preparation, but the results speak for themselves. You can learn the tricks of the trade by enrolling in one of their cooking classes — and get $20 off your class. Simply head to the My Account of our site and click #meatclubfriends from the Dashboard (log in or create an account to access, here).
- 1 whole chicken from The Meat Club
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 white onion
- 10 pieces of button mushrooms
- 1 stalk of leek
- 1/2 cup of sliced almonds
- 2 tbsp of pumpkin seeds
- 4 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 2 handfuls of Italian parsley
- Olive oil as needed
- Begin by deboning the chicken
- Use a large knife to remove the knuckle at each joint at the thigh bone and the drumlet by chopping through the bone.
- Switch to a boning knife, place the chicken breast side down and split the chicken down the middle of the spine and slice downwards, on each side, by slowly peeling the flesh away as you slice the meat off the bones.
- At the wing bone, slice around the socket to release the bones from the tendons until the entire bone has been loosened and removed. Repeat on the other side.
- At the leg, split the flesh vertically to expose the bone and slice around until the bone is loosened and can be removed.
- Coming to the breasts, slice around the ribcage on both sides until you reach the center of the chicken then slice gently to cut the membrane that is holding the flesh to the skin.
- Pulse the mushrooms several times in a blender until they are minced then saute in a tall pot, with a thin layer of oil. Once lightly browned, add in the thinly sliced leek and minced onions and cook until they are soft.
- Add in the minced garlic and once fragrant, toss in the nuts and the bread crumbs. Take the pot off the heat then add the lightly chopped italian parsley and stir to combine.
- Finally, season with salt and pepper. Before proceeding to spread the stuffing over the chicken, sprinkle a thin layer or salt and pepper over the deboned chicken.
- Roll the chicken up horizontally then truss with some twine so that the chicken is firm and the stuffing is contained.
- Season once more on the skin of the chicken with salt and pepper then brush on a thick layer of oil to help with coloring the skin in the oven.
- Roast at 160C for 20 minutes with the fan then increase the temperature to 180 for another 10 minutes to brown the skin.
- Remove from the oven and rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing.
- Serve with roasted vegetables or a salad.
This recipe is provided by Palate Sensations Culinary School. For more information about classes, see https://www.palatesensations.com/