MARINATE TIME: 1 hr
COOK TIME: 1 hr
COOL TIME: 1 hr
Steph from Foodie Fit mum shows us how to prepare soy-kissed chicken, which is perfect for warm family dinners. Read more to find out how to make this dish.
- 1 The Meat Club cage free whole chicken
- 2pcs firm beancurd or taukwa (optional)
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp Chinese ShaoXing wine
- Poaching liquid
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 40g ginger, sliced
- 100g spring onions, cut into stalks about 6cm
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 4 4cm cinnamon sticks
- 8 pcs star anise
- 4L water
- 360ml thick dark soy sauce
- 250ml light soy sauce
- 250ml Chinese Shaoxing wine
- 2 tbsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Marinate the chicken at least an hour before cooking, with salt and Chinese wine.
- Prepare the poaching liquid. Heat the sesame seed oil over medium heat in a deep pot (min 6L).
- Add the ginger and spring onions and saute for about 30 sec until both start to brown.
- Using a spice bag, add garlic, cloves, cinnamon and star anise into it. Add the spice bag into the pot.
- Add water, and all the remaining ingredients into the pot and bring to boil.
- Turn heat down to low and allow stock to simmer for 15 mins to infuse the aromatics into the poaching liquid.
- Bring it back to high heat and allow the liquid to boil again. Once it comes to boil, add the marinated chicken (breast facing up to prevent overcooking the breast). If you are using firm beancurd, add them in now too. Let it boil for 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat down to low, cover with the lid and let it to continue to simmer for 5 mins, then turn off the heat.
- Allow the chicken to poach in the covered pot for 40 minutes. Poach for a longer duration if your chicken is more than 1.2kg.
- After poaching, carefully raise the chicken (and firm beancurd) from the liquid and allow it to cool. Chicken (and beancurd) will take on a golden brown hue by now.
- Let it completely cool (for about 1 hour) before you chop it up, and assemble on the plate.
- If you like, serve some poaching liquid on the side with your chicken (and beancurd) and some cucumber for garnishing.