Soba Noodle Salad with Steak and Stir-fried Vegetables
PREP TIME: 10 mins
COOK TIME: 15 mins
An exclusive extract from her new book, Strong, Elsa Pataky shares her approach to building strength – of body and mind. This recipe is a healthy fix to fuel your pursuit of strength.
- 90g soba noodles
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive
- oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 2 x 85g pieces of lean beef steak, such as The Meat Club scotch or eye fillet
- 80g sugar snap peas
- 1 small carrot, sliced
- 1⁄3 cup (50g) peanuts
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark agave syrup
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 cup (100g) soy or mung bean sprouts
- 40g green cabbage, finely sliced
- 6 basil leaves, torn
- Bring a saucepan of water to the boil. Add the noodles, swirling them around to prevent them from sticking together. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Drain and rinse the noodles under cold running water, then drizzle with a little oil so they don’t stick together as they dry.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a heavy-based frying pan over high heat. When the pan is smoking, carefully add the steaks and sear for 3 minutes on each side. Transfer to a warm plate, cover and leave to rest for 5 minutes, then slice.
- Meanwhile, wipe out the pan, add the remaining oil and return to high heat. Add the sugar snap peas, carrot, peanuts, soy sauce, agave syrup and lime juice and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Transfer to a large bowl, add the noodles, sprouts, cabbage and basil and gently toss to combine.
- To serve, divide the noodles and veggies between two serving plates and top with the steak.