PREP TIME: 30 Minutes
MARINATING TIME: 1 Hour (longer, the better)
COOK TIME: 5 Minutes
Words by #sgfoodie Namita of Indian Spice Box: Shepherd’s pie is an English dish loved by people of all ages across the world. Comforting and hearty, this dish packs in lots of protein and vegetables that will make you super strong and clever! The addition of aromatic whole spices makes this family-friendly dish unique and extra flavorful. Little ones can help grown-ups with mashing the potatoes, stirring and decorating the top of the pie.
- 3–4 large potatoes
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons carrot, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons celery, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 star anise (optional)
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 500g The Meat Club minced beef
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- ½ cup tomato puree
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- Boil the potatoes on high heat for 20–25 minutes until tender.
- Let the boiled potatoes cool, then peel and mash them with the butter, milk, and salt. Set the mashed potatoes aside.
- In a heavy-bottomed pan or skillet over medium, heat up the ghee and add in the chopped onions, carrots, celery, garlic, bay leaf, star anise, and cinnamon. Stir until the onions are browned.
- Add in the mince, and break up the pieces. Stir and cook for 5 minutes. Add in the rest of the spices and salt. Cook for 2–3 more minutes.
- Add in the fresh tomato and tomato puree, and cook for 2–3 more minutes. Then add in the water, ¼ cup at a time. Scrape off any brown bits on the bottom of the pan. If the mince appears too dry, add in extra water.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Cover the pan, and simmer the mince mixture for 10 minutes.
- In an oven-safe dish, spread the mince evenly and then using a fork, evenly spread a layer of the mashed potatoes on top of the mince.
- Using a pastry brush, evenly brush the melted butter over the top of the mashed potatoes and then make a design over the top, using a fork. Bake for 15 minutes in the oven until the top is golden brown.
- Serve warm.