Lemongrass Salmon Tacos Platter
PREP TIME: 52 mins
COOK TIME: 20 mins
This Lemongrass salmon platter is a perfect idea for a romantic brunch date. Enjoy the summer vibes with these tacos, along with sides of butter corn hummus and Halloumi fries. Thanks Ally from Pout and Chow for this creative recipe!
- 2 x (150g) The Meat Club Atlantic Salmon Fillets
- 1 x (50g) bunch fresh coriander, remove roots chopped coarsely
- 3 green birdʼs eye chilli, deseed and chopped
- 4 x lemongrass
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tsp capers
- 2 tsp pink Himalayan sea salt
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 250g green cabbage, shredded
- 10 corn tortillas/ taco shells
- 200ml greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp Chipotle Peppers in Abodo (La Costena)
- 2 limes, sliced in wedges (for serving)
- Sriracha sauce (for serving)
- 100g cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1 ripe mango, diced
- 1 medium size purple onion, diced
- 1 tsp pink Himalayan sea salt
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
Butter corn hummus
- 1 x canned corn
- 1 x garbanzo beans (chickpeas) drained
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 heaping tbsp ghee/butter
- 1/4 cup water
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (to garnish)
- Pinch of Dukkah (to garnish)
- 250g Cypriot Halloumi cheese (essential waitress) cut into fries
- 35g plain flour
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Canola oil, for frying
- 1 tbsp chipotle peppers in Abodo (La Costena)
- 200ml greek yogurt (Farmers Union)
- Pinch of Himalayan pink sea salt
Salmon tacos and Summer Salsa
- Place the rack in the center of the oven. Preheat oven to 200°C for 10minutes.
- Place salmon fillets in a baking dish, season both sides with 1 tsp sea salt. Place them skin side down.
- Cut to remove the ends of lemongrass. Peel the first outer layer and use the back of your knife to gently pound on the ends to release the aroma. Grate only the white ends into the food processor.
- Add coriander, chilli, olive oil, garlic, capers and 1 tsp salt into the food processor. Blend on high speed until a coarse puree forms. Scoop out 2 tbsp for the summer salsa later and spread the rest over the salmon with the back of a spoon.
- Bake salmon for 20 minutes, until it flakes when you cut softly with a fork. Check the salmon regularly whether they are cooked fully, especially the thicker parts. The salmon should turn tender with a light orange colour.
- While the salmon is baking, combine all ingredients for the summer salsa with the reserved lemongrass puree earlier in a bowl.
- Heat a frying pan at medium high heat, and warm the corn tortillas for a slight charred surface, about 45 seconds each side.
- Take a fork and gently flak apart cooked salmon to bite-sized flakes. Build half portion of the salmon tacos, starting with cabbage, avocado and salmon flakes. Leave the loose ingredients on the platter to DIY for each other. Serve yogurt with chipotle peppers in abodo in a dipping bowl.
- Serve salsa, lime wedges and squeeze a few drops of Sriracha to spice it up!
Butter corn hummus
- For a creamy hummus, wash and drain chickpeas with baking soda.Heat them in a microwave or skillet over medium heat for 3 minutes until the shells start to peel. Transfer beans to bowl and wash a few times with cold water till cooled. Rub the chickpeas in between your fingers to release the shells. Transfer chickpeas to the food processor.
- Heat a frying pan to middle high heat, add ghee and fry up corn for 4minutes, until fragrant. Transfer corn and melted butter into the food processor.
- Blend chickpeas and corns at medium speed to break them down. Add the remaining ingredients and continue to blend at high speed until hummus is creamy. If it is too thick for your liking, add 2 tbsp of water each time to thin out the consistency.
- Serve corn hummus in a coupe plate and create a swirl using the back of a spoon. Garnish with cayenne pepper and Dukkah/
- In a bowl, mix flour, paprika, and cumin. Lightly coat the Halloumi fries.
- Pour oil to a frying pan until it fills to a depth about 1/3 of the pan.Heat over medium high heat until sizzles. Add a few Halloumi fries at a time and fry for 3 minutes, turn them over with rubber tongs or wooden chopsticks, until golden and crispy. Transfer to a plate with kitchen towel, and repeat with the remaining Halloumi. Sprinkle salt over Halloumi fries.
- In a dipping bowl, pour greek yogurt and add abodo on top. Serve Halloumi fries alongside.