Homemade Butter Chicken
PREP TIME: 30 mins
COOK TIME: 25 mins
Homemade Butter chicken is a favourite across the world: a simple tomato-cream gravy with boneless chicken pieces bobbing about just waiting to be scooped up by a crispy piece of naan. Namita, from Indian Spice Box shares a healthier, homemade version of this flavourful dish.
- 500g (2 packs) of The Meat Club Cage free chicken thigh fillet
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste (or 2 tsp finely chopped fresh ginger and 1 small clove garlic, minced)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp tumeric powder
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 2 tbsp (30g) butter, divided
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 small onion, quartered, layers separated
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 green chili, slit lengthwise with seeds removed
- 2 cups (500ml) canned tomato sauce or 3-4 freshly pureed tomatoes
- A generous pinch of sugar
- 1/2 cup (125ml) milk, preferably full-fat or heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves), optional
- Put the boneless chicken in a bowl and add the ginger-garlic paste, salt, cumin, coriander, turmeric, and chili powder. Mix well and set in the fridge for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the butter in a sauté pan, wok, or kadhai; stir-fry the marinated chicken on high heat for 2 to 3 minutes, or until all the pinkness is gone (90% cooked). Add the pepper and onion; stir-fry for another minute.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the semi-cooked chicken and vegetables to a bowl, keeping the liquid in the pan to use for the sauce.
- In the same pan, on medium-high heat, add the remaining 1 tablespoon butter. When it bubbles, add the ginger and green chili, let them sizzle, then add the tomato sauce. Keep stirring and cooking the tomato sauce for 3 to 4 minutes, till it becomes a deep, dark red color. Add the sugar.
- Add the chicken, onions, and capsicum to the gravy and stir well. Cover the pot and simmer for a few minutes.
- Slowly stir in the milk or cream and simmer for another 2 minutes. Taste the sauce to adjust the seasoning as necessary. You may need to add more salt at this stage or more sugar if you want it sweeter.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with the garam masala and kasoori methi. Serve hot with basmati rice or crisp, buttered naans.