Homemade beef sausage rolls
SERVINGS: 4 mini rolls
PREP TIME: 45 Minutes
COOK TIME: 30 Minutes, PLUS 30 Minutes Resting Time
- 500g The Meat Club lean mince
- 1 cup (70g) breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, plus 1 extra lightly beaten egg
- ¾ cup zucchini, finely grated
- ¾ cup carrot, finely grated
- ½ onion, grated
- 1 ½ tsp mixed dried herbs (ideally Italian mix)
- 4 sheets frozen puff pastry, just thawed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 200°C and line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Take a large bowl, add breadcrumbs, beef and unbeaten egg and using your hands, mix until well combined.
- Grate the zucchini, carrot and onion. Squeeze all excess water out of the zucchini and add to the bowl.
- Add herbs and season with salt and pepper. Mix again with your hands till well combine.
- Place 1 pastry sheet on a floured surface and halve. Spoon 1/2 a cup of the mixture along the centre of each piece and shape it like a long thin sausage. Fold 1 edge of pastry over and tuck in beside filling, then fold over other side to make a roll, pressing down lightly to seal. Lightly brush the inside of the pastry with water to ensure it seals.
- Repeat with remaining pastry and filling. Place in the fridge to cool for 30 minutes (this will make cutting easier).
- Cut the rolls into bite size pieces. You should get 5 pieces from every roll. Remove from the fridge and brush with beaten egg, sprinkle with sesame seeds (optional).
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the rolls are lightly browned and cooked through. Serve with sauce on the side.
Sausage rolls are always great at parties and to have in the freezer for those friends who drop in at the last minute. They are great for both kids and adults, and perfect to send in school lunch boxes and a great weekend lunch for the family! Try these homemade beef sausage rolls from Two Expat cooks.