Clean and lean chicken kebabs
Elissa of Two Expat Cooks used The Meat Club’s cage free chicken breast fillets to prepare these kebabs – a simple dish that’s healthy and fun to make. These kebabs are great as a light lunch or even as an appetiser or a snack time treat.
MARINATE TIME: 2 hours
PREP TIME: 30 mins
COOK TIME: 30 mins
- 650g (2 packs) of The Meat Club Cage free chicken breast fillet
- 250g mushrooms
- 1 large green capsicum
- 3 medium sized red onions
- 2 small zucchinis
- 3 tbsp of lemon juice
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- ½ cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 12 bamboo skewers
- Combine Dijon mustard, lemon juice, olive oil and salt and pepper in a small bowl and whisk. Set the marinade aside.
- Cut chicken breast in 2cm cubes and cover with marinade. Leave to marinade for at least 2 hours in the fridge and continually toss to ensure all the chicken is marinated well.
- In a large bottle soak skewers for at least 30 minutes in water. Make sure 90% of the length of the skewer is submerged in water. This ensure your skewers do not split and the food comes off easily.
- Now wash and cut all your vegetables.
- The zucchini and peppers should be cut into cubes similar size as the chicken. Cut mushrooms in half or quarters if they are very large. Cut off the ends of the onion and peel the outer layer off. Cut onions into quarters and peel roughly two layers of onion at a time. You may need to discard the centre, as it will be too small. It’s important to cut your vegetables all roughly the same size to ensure they cook at the same rate.
- In a large bowl toss all your vegetables with olive oil and freshly ground salt and pepper. Make sure the vegetables are well coated in olive oil, as this will help in the cooking process.
- Thread chicken and vegetables onto your skewers. You can put the chicken and vegetables on in any order you like, just be consistent. I started with chicken followed by onion, mushroom, capsicum and zucchini. Continue the process till you have used all your chicken and vegetables.
- Heat a BBQ or grill plate and wait till it’s very hot before putting your skewers on. Rotate skewers every 2 minutes till they are golden on each side. Serve with a squeeze of fresh lemon and a garden salad.