Braised Pork Belly Rice
PREP TIME: 30 Minutes
COOK TIME: 1.5 Hours
Words by #sgfoodie Shermin Toh from Baker’s lust: So excited to share this recipe because it was so so good! When I went to Taiwan, I was so excited to try 卤肉饭 (lu-rou-fan) Braised Pork Rice because I always see it on TV and it is always described as such a heavenly dish. Dark meaty goodness with thick gravy topped on a bowl of rice — it looks like a really homely comfort food. But sadly, the ones I ate in Taiwan were not very memorable. So I’ve decided to try it at home. I hope you like it!
- 4 cups of cooked Japanese rice
- 3 tbsp oil
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 small ginger, divided into two (2/3 of it thickly sliced, the rest diced finely)
- 8 shiitake mushrooms, coarsely diced
- 600g of The Meat Club pork belly
- 250g The Meat Club minced pork
- 4 tbsp hua diao jiu (Chinese cooking wine)
- 7 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 7 tbsp light soy sauce
- 3 cups water
- 5 hardboiled eggs, peeled
- Salt and pepper to season
- 6 cinnamon sticks
- A handful of star anise
- Some cardamon seeds
- Some cloves
- Place spices and the ginger in cheesecloth pouch.
- Bring a medium pot filled with water, to a boil.Cut pork belly into large pieces and blanched them for 2 minutes. Remove water and set aside.
- In another pot, heat oil and then add in honey. Let honey caramalise slightly before adding in the diced onion and ginger. Continue to fry till fragrant and slightly brown.
- Add in mushrooms to pot, and then add in pork belly and minced pork. Stir-fry them for a minute or so, until evenly mixed.
- Add in Chinese cooking wine, dark sauce, light soya sauce and the water, bring all to a boil.
- Then add in the spice pouch to the pot and then the eggs, lower the heat to a simmer.
- Cover the pot and simmer for about 1.5 hours. Check and stir occasionally to prevent the bottom from being burnt, add half cup of water if the water level gets too low. Simmer until the meat is tender.
- Remove spice pouches from pot. Serve braised pork on top of Japanese rice.